A boudoir photoshoot isn’t just about taking a good photo – it’s about embracing your inner and outer beauty and showcasing the confidence you have in yourself. By choosing lingerie and makeup that accentuate your favorite features, you can enjoy an afternoon exploring your sexy side and, best of all, you’ll have plenty of photos to help you remember the experience. You may even choose to share them with a special someone!
In order to enjoy an amazing boudoir photoshoot, you’ll want to do a little planning before the big day. Take your time choosing an outfit and put a little extra effort into your skincare routine for a few weeks. Read on to learn everything you need to know about preparing for your boudoir photoshoot.
How to Pick the Perfect Outfit for Your Shoot
Here are some tips for picking the perfect outfit:
- Think about the final image you’re going for when choosing a color – go with white or ivory if you want a soft, fresh look or stick with red, grey, or black if you’re going for something sultry.
- Find the lingerie that best flatters your body shape and accentuates your favorite features – and don’t feel like you have to show more skin than you’re comfortable with.
- Once you’ve narrowed down your options, try it on in a few different sizes to find what feels the most comfortable to you – it’s all about fit, forget the number on the tag!
- If you’re going for a flat tummy look, opt for high-waisted shapewear or a corset belt, or opt for a high-waisted two-piece if you don’t want to show too much midriff.
- Don’t be afraid to branch out and try something new. Bodysuits are flattering on almost all body types and come in a variety of materials like silk, satin, and lace.
- Bring several bras and undies sets with you in different colors. You may want to use them under other pieces or highlight them on their own.
- Consider bringing a nude pair of undies and a strapless nude bra for use in implied nude photos if you’re not comfortable going bare.
- Avoid choosing lingerie that’s too long and flowy - you want to accentuate your curves and highlight your best features.
If you’re not quite sure how you’re going to feel on the day of your shoot, don’t hesitate to bring a few options with you. You may even have time to change outfits during the shoot, so be sure to come prepared! It’s also a great idea to bring some casual wear to ease yourself into the shoot if you’re feeling nervous. A robe can be sexy, or you might even bring along one of your partner’s button-down shirts.
Think Beyond the Lingerie
Once you’ve chosen the perfect lingerie for your photoshoot, it’s time to think about accessories. The right accessories can bring out your personality and help you highlight your favorite features. One thing you’ll definitely want to bring is a sexy pair of high heels. Even if you aren’t comfortably walking in them, you’ll get some great photos sitting or lying down with a pair of strappy heels to show off.
In addition to shoes, think about other wearable accessories like stockings, a lacy garter, or even jewelry. Don’t go overboard on accessories or it might take away from the star of the shot: you. You may want to bring a few different items with you and highlight one in each shot. This is also a great opportunity to show off gifts of jewelry or other accessories your partner has given you.
Other Tips for a Fantastic Boudoir Photoshoot
Though it’s important to take your time when choosing the lingerie for your photoshoot, don’t forget that the most important thing you’ll be wearing that day is your skin. Nothing is sexier than healthy and glowing skin, so maintain a healthy skin regimen for at least a week leading up to your photoshoot.
Here are some simple skincare tips for a fantastic photoshoot:
- Cleanse your skin twice daily (morning and evening) and always wear sunscreen when you go outside (at least SPF 30).
- Take the time to treat breakouts with a spot treatment and address fine lines and wrinkles with retinoid face cream.
- Exfoliate your skin 2 to 3 times per week to help remove the top layer of dead, dull skin to reveal fresh and youthful skin underneath.
- Make moisturization a priority, both day and night. Always apply moisturizer after cleansing and toning your skin.
- Take care of unwanted facial hair and give your brows a little extra attention to help accentuate your eyes. Don’t worry if you over pluck – you can always fill it in with makeup.
- Give your hair a good wash with shampoo and conditioner the day before your photoshoot so it doesn’t look greasy or flaky on the big day.
- If your hair could use a little help in the volume department, use a volumizing mousse when blowing your hair dry.
- Highlight your hands with a nail polish shade that matches your lingerie or your makeup.
- If you’re not going to be wearing heels for the whole shoot, exfoliate the bottom of your feet and use plenty of moisturizer in the week leading up to your shoot.
An amazing boudoir photoshoot isn’t just about getting a good picture. At the end of the day, it’s about feeling confident and sexy in your own skin and capturing your confidence on camera. Whether you’re doing the shoot as a gift for that special someone or keeping it all to yourself, the tips above will help you choose the perfect outfit and get your skin prepped and ready for the big day.